In my initial consultation with Jenny she chose classic, traditional and antique to best describe her wedding style. Soft pinks and Ivory were her two main wedding colours complemented by navy blue bridesmaids dresses and decor accents.
Together we decided on flowers that really spoke to her classic style. Photographed by Brady McCloskey Photography, Hydrangea, Vendela Roses and both pale pink and blush pink Spray Roses set the mood for this couples day. Variegated New Zealand Pittosporum and lace accented her hand-tied bouquets by emphasizing an antique look, while Gunni Eucalyptus worked to integrate that feeling of navy blue into the floral bouquets.
Vintage teacups were placed at each table setting to add an extra antique touch to the reception space, along with a vintage teacup that her Grandmother had given her to use as a cake top.
The table centrepieces consisted of a string of pearls with miniature, loosely hand-tied bouquets of Hydrangea and Spray Roses, arranged in low vases with pearlized glass rocks.
Check out Brady’s photos of this wedding on Facebook!
I met with the bride’s Mom, Dawn a few days ago to discuss flowers for her daughter Alyson’s wedding next year. Dawn had handmade some silk flowers in different pretty coloured ribbon and wanted me to incorporate them in her daughter’s bouquet. I thought this idea was adorable!
We decided on permanent flowers for the bouquets. Not only did the idea of permanent flowers seem to best match Dawn’s handmade flowers, it also allowed her daughter to see her bouquets while she was home visiting her mother for Thanksgiving.
I set up a mutual Pinterest board that the three of us, Dawn, Alyson and I could use to exchange wedding bouquet ideas.The guidelines for me to work within included incorporating both a rustic and vintage feel, use fall colours with out the typical yellows and oranges, incorporate burlap, Dawn’s flowers and other decorative items she provided.
Three days later I was at their door on Thanksgiving delivering the finished flower arrangements. Alyson was absolutely delighted with her wedding bouquet and also loved the added flowers that her Mother had made!
This past weekend I had the pleasure of creating the wedding flower arrangements for Martine and Nathan’s wedding. Martine’s main wedding colours were a mix of purple tones, accented with cream, pearls, and lace.
I selected flowers based on both the theme and budget. Immediately when I think of a Victorian themed wedding I think of ‘Vendella’ Ivory Roses, Gypsophila, and an elegant variegated greenery (I chose variegated New Zealand Pittosporum). To achieve the hand-tied garden style she desired, I used purple Lisianthus, and to keep us on budget, I chose lavender Stock and three different purple hues of ‘Moon Series’ Carnations. She had also requested that I incorporate some kind of berry, so I went with seeded Eucalyptus. These ‘seeds’ are smaller and more elegant looking than other types of berries, plus the dusted blue tone of the leaves helped to perfectly blend the Victorian and fall themes together.
Once my flowers arrive, the process begins! First, I cut each stem and start conditioning my flowers so that they’re ready for designing. While I wait for the flowers to condition, I start to make handmade name tags for the bouquets and boutonnieres. For these, I begin with textured brown paper, which I hand ripped into small rectangles. I then choose card stock that is in her bridesmaids dress colour, Victorian Lilac. To dress them up, I incorporate the look of the detailing from her wedding dress by attaching small, silver encased pearls to each tag.
Once the flowers have finished conditioning, I finally get to start making the bride and bridesmaids bouquets, my favourite part! Next I start preparing for the corsages and boutonnieres. First I choose a corsage ribbon that will match the wedding, in this case cream, and create all of the corsage bows. Then I lay out all of the materials for the first 6 corsages.
Next I make the Grooms boutonniere. Martine asked me to incorporate some of the left over material from alterations to her bridesmaid dresses. I gauged that there was enough left over to wrap the stems of all of the boutonnieres. This allowed the groomsmen boutonnieres to match perfectly with the bridesmaid dresses. And here you go!
Now you can view more photos here!!